Jen's Reviews > A Match Made in High School

A Match Made in High School by Kristin Walker

Sep 27, 2010

bookshelves: paid-full-price, books-i-own, read-in-2010
Read from September 27 to 29, 2010

When I picked up this book at Border's the other day, I read the back and scoffed.

That's right, people. I scoffed. Rolled my eyes, even.

A required marriage course in order to graduate high school? That would never happen. However, I'd read several glowing reviews on the hilarity factor of AMMIHS, so I picked it up. I am so glad that I did. Fiona's voice is hilarious. I promise you that the novel actually contained the phrase "he reached over and honked her boob." LOLs aplenty! I enjoyed how carefree Fiona "Fee" was about her nerd/weirdo status. Fiona is who I wish I could've been in high school. I was awkward and gangly and average looking, but I was entirely insecure about it. Fiona didn't care, and had a smart azz mouth to boot. Quips flew about like spitballs and I had to come up with an excuse as to why I was laughing out loud in my cubicle at work.

"Match" introduced a line of stereotypical, yet colorful, characters.

Todd Harding, Fee's fake-husband, with whom she develops a precarious balance between friendly affection and utter hatred. He's a bull-headed jock, but could there be some semblance of a heart underlying those ripped pecs and gargantuan ego?! Read and find out :D
I loved the dynamic of the pseudo-friendship between Todd and Fiona. Their constant banter had me giggling like a freak in public. It's not often a book can make me lulz. Usually I'll smile coyly to myself, but this laughter was audible.

I seriously loved the whole cast of characters. Johnny Mercer being among my favorites as the quiet, yet endearing, friend. One of them, who shall remain nameless, did provoke some serious temporary hate from me for pulling the stunt they did. I knew it was coming from 100 pages away, but I was hoping I was wrong. I would've handled this situation much differently than Fee (read: a much-deserved throat punch) but that's just me. I also thought Fiona's mom and what she did was a bit hokey, but that's totally overlookable in the big picture.

Kristin Walker is a fabulously addictive writer. I could not stop reading this book. Her writing flowed very well and I'd like to hang out with her sometime. I think we would probably be rolling on the floor with coffee coming out our noses, because we have extremely similar senses of humor. I love how she acknowledged Fiona's flaws and her struggle to rise above her drawbacks. There was serious, SERIOUS character development in this book. I wasn't expecting it from such a light, humorous story, so I was pleasantly surprised.

I will most DEFINITELY be reading anything Walker puts out in the future. I'm thoroughly impressed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Match Made in High School.

09/27/2010 page 2
1.0% "I know I read YA, but it feels so much more official when the words "high school" are actually in the title. Haven't been there for going on 8 years."
09/27/2010 page 29
10.0% "HAHAHA I swear I just read the phrase "he reached over and honked her boob."" 1 comment
09/28/2010 page 90
32.0% "This is really cute and fun!"
09/28/2010 page 162
58.0% "Saw that one coming 100 pages ago."
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Alexa (new) - added it

Alexa Okay, I wasn't sure about this, but I think I'll keep it on my to-read because it sounds really funny. XD lol

~Tina~ I am so reading this! Great review Jen!

message 3: by Nic (new)

Nic Me too! Although I already have it. Another awesome review Jen :)

message 4: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Thanks ladies! This was a really fun one to read :) I hardly EVER laugh at books!

Arlene Awesome review!

LMAO! I remember that! hahahaha This book did have some really funny moments. Glad you liked it. :)

Weffi98 I agree! I totally hated the book when I first started but what saved it was it's humor and multiple plot twist. I think Jonathan was amazing too, although I kind of found Fiona annoying at times haha