Lynnda Ell's Reviews > The Discipline of Grace: God's Role and Our Role in the Pursuit of Holiness

The Discipline of Grace by Jerry Bridges

Sep 27, 10

bookshelves: books-i-will-keep
Read in September, 2010

Jerry Bridges wrote The Discipline of Grace to connect the understanding of God's grace in Jesus Christ and seeking holiness. Unless our growth in holiness is anchored in God's grace poured out in Jesus, then we drift into the rocky shoals of temptations, attempt to scale the cliffs of self-improvement, or wash up on the sandbars of helplessness. This book is a lighthouse that guides the reader away from these pit-falls.

The book speaks most strongly to those Christians who desire with all their hearts to follow God. To quote Mr. Bridges, "We do not become more holy either by discipline or by dependance. Neither do we become more holy by committing ourselves to God, or by developing Bible-based convictions. We become more holy by obedience to the Word of God by choosing to obey His will as revealed in the Scriptures in all the various circumstances in our lives." In The Discipline of Grace, he shows the way all these other concepts contribute to reaching the place of a heart-felt desire to obey Him.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Discipline of Grace.