John's Reviews > Shantaram

Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts

Jan 19, 2011

Read in May, 2010

An epic; one of the best books that I have ever read. Its one of those rare 1000 page novels that, when you near the end, an sense of sadness begins to creep into your psyche as you realize the story will soon be over. Were there were not so many unread books glaring at me from my bookshelf I would have undoubtedly did a u-turn on the final page and begun the story anew.

That being said, there are tendencies in the novel that certain readers may take issue with. The first of these is the over use of what I like to call "GRE Words," (formally known as SAT words until I took the GRE). I like to think that I have a fairly extensive vocabulary, but this particular novel pushed the limits of my vernacular. The back page of the novel (where I try to write down interesting words) was filled virtually to capacity. During the first 300 pages I took this writing style of pertention, but as the story evolved along with its characters, it became apparent to me that Roberts HAD to write the story this way. Even when a word is misused or misconstrued, it helps tell the story.

I would recommend this book to anyone who has an interest in literature. While I'm sure not everyone will take the leap to name it their "Favorite Book," I challenge anyone to say they don't enjoy it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shantaram.