Jessica's Reviews > The Lotus Eaters

The Lotus Eaters by Tatjana Soli

Oct 02, 10

Read from September 27 to October 02, 2010

The Lotus Eaters by Tatjana Soli follows female photo journalist Helen Adams from her arrival to the Vietnam War to its eventual end. This is a story of grief, cruelty, and love found during the war.

The first few chapters were hard for me to get through. I didn't think I would be able to form an attachment to any of the characters with the way that it started out. Everything seemed so disjointed. But the more I read the better the story became.

I liked the unfolding love stories, I liked the way Soli painted her picture. Vietnam the country really seemed to stand out in the colors and humidity. The native people were a surprise to me. They seemed so accustomed to things ended badly. Some of the folk stories told through Linh were so sad, and yet they were popular. That took some adjusting too.

I was also interested to know that the French had tried to colonize the country for just about a hundred years. While it seemed that some of the people looked on that relationship with distaste, others (like the seamstress sisters) seemed to hold on to that time at all costs.

I understood how the photographers wanted their work to mean something, but I still don't necessarily understand they recklessness. Maybe this will come with time, and some distance from the book.

Overall I'm very glad to have read this book, and I look forward to reading more by this author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lotus Eaters.

09/28/2010 page 17