Jane Stewart's Reviews > Sugar Daddy

Sugar Daddy by Lisa Kleypas

Sep 27, 10

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, 4-plus-star-romance
Read in August, 2008

4.5 stars. Well done, in depth novel. Thought provoking. Excellent story.

This reminded me of Maeve Binchy’s style of writing, but with a little more romance. There is more in depth character and plot development than I was expecting. I give 5 stars to a book when my immediate reaction after reading it is “I loved this.” My reaction to “Sugar Daddy” was more of “Wow. That was great.” I was close to giving it a 5 because it was such good quality.

There is a lot of heartache and sadness in the first 40% of the book. Liberty and Hardy are being raised by single working mothers, a poor lifestyle in a trailer park. Hardy works as a teen to help support his siblings and mother. He plans to leave town to make his mark in the world. Although he loves Liberty, he won’t let himself have a relationship with her because he fears a relationship with her would keep him poor. If he stayed with her, he wouldn’t be able to rise in the world, would resent her, and become like his father: a drunk who beat his wife, couldn’t hold a job and ended up in jail. Liberty stays, her mother dies, and Liberty at age 16 begins to raise her baby sister, alone.

The rest of the story is more upbeat. It’s rewarding to see Liberty surviving, growing and raising her sister so well. The people she meets and events in her life are interesting. A second man enters the picture and the heavy question is who will she choose when Hardy comes back into her life.

Sexual language: mild. Number of sex scenes: seven. Setting: current day Texas. Copyright: 2007. Genre: contemporary romance.

I’ve reviewed the following Lisa Kleypas books. Dates are copyright dates.

Contemporary Romance:

4 stars. Dreaming of You 1994
3 stars. Someone to Watch Over Me 1999
1 star. Where Dreams Begin 2000
4 stars. Lady Sophia’s Lover 2002
3.5 stars. Worth Any Price 2003 (Best if read after Lady Sophia’s Lover.)
3.5 stars. Devil in Winter 2006

Historical Romance - Hathaways:
2 stars. Mine Til Midnight 2007
2 ½ stars. Seduce Me At Sunrise 2008
3 stars. Tempt Me at Twilight 2009
4 stars. Love in the Afternoon 2010
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sugar Daddy.

Ronyell Great review Jane!! I really enjoyed this book too!

Jane Stewart Thank you Ronyell, Your comment got me thinking about this again. I realized I should try another of her contemporary books, so I just now ordered Blue-Eyed Devil and Smooth-Talking Stranger. I also did some housekeeping on the above list of books. Thanks for motivating me to some action :)

Ronyell You're welcome Jane! I'm thinking about picking up Blue Eyed Devil too!