Jane Stewart's Reviews > Remember Me?

Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella

Sep 27, 10

bookshelves: chick-lit
Read in August, 2008

Not funny, annoying characters, no fun.

I know there are a lot of readers who love this author and find her books funny. I wanted to like this book, but I couldn’t. I had a grimace on my face as I read much of it. Lexi is an incompetent, foolish klutz. As embarrassing or unfortunate things happened to her, Lexi’s knee jerk reactions were to “fake it” or to lie to others and to herself. I could not find any sympathy for Lexi, and I did not admire anything about her other than something she did at the end of the book. Lexi had a horrible sister who was a scam artist and stole from her own family. Lexi’s mother was in denial and wouldn’t help Lexi with her lost memories. These people were no fun to read about. I found no humor in any of this.

STORY BRIEF:
In 2004, Lexi works for a carpet company at the low end of the pay scale. In 2007, she has a car accident and wakes up not remembering anything about the previous three years. She finds that during those three years, she became a high paid executive at the carpet company. She was tough on her employees and they disliked her. She also found she was married to someone she had no memory of.

I loved this author’s earlier book “Can You Keep a Secret,” which had me laughing a lot. Maybe the reason I liked it was because much of the story involved Jack. Jack asked Emma questions in front of other people and as she answered the questions with lies, she knew that he knew she was lying. Unfortunately I didn’t find similar or any humor in “Remember Me?”

DATA:
Sexual language: none. Number of sex scenes: none. Setting: 2007 London. Copyright: 2008. Genre: chick lit.

OTHER BOOKS:
For a list of my reviews of other Sophie Kinsella books, see my 5 star review of “Can You Keep a Secret” posted 2/21/07.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Remember Me?.