Carla *Jen7waters*'s Reviews > Throne of Glass

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Aug 23, 12

bookshelves: cinderella, read-a-thon, fantasy, love-triangle-goddammit
Read from August 15 to 19, 2012

God, I waited so long for this book. I honestly still remember the day, a long, long time ago, when I stumbled across the author’s website and saw a video where she was giving the happy news to the world, Throne of Glass (at the time called Queen of Glass) was going to be published, and poor Sarah was crying her heart out -- from happiness, of course. I immediately added the book to my wishlist and a year later ta-dah, it arrived at my doorstep.

At the time this book came to my attention because it was being sold as a Cinderella retelling (and I’m a sucker for all things fairytale) where the heroine was this kickass assassin, but at some point the story must have evolved because Throne of Glass has a lot more going on than that. To tell the truth, one can barely see traces of Cinderella in Throne of Glass, only that at some point there’s a ball and Celaena isn’t allowed to go, but she sneaks out and attends the thing anyway.

But note that I’m not complaining -- I’m not annoyed that this isn’t exactly a Cinderella retelling, because I love epic fantasy and Throne of Glass certainly went down that road. The plot involves a corrupt king, magic, murder mysteries, a dangerous tournament, and of course, the kickass heroine. All this happening at the same time, giving the reader barely time to breathe.

Of course I didn’t like everything about this book, thus the 3 stars rating, I almost, almost gave it a 4, but THE LOVE TRIANGLE. Ugh. I’m sorry but I can’t condone this crap anymore. From now on, love triangles will always subtract a star on my ratings. Always!
Authors, PLEASE. Stop this trend. I'm so tired of this sh-t. There's nothing wrong with writing stories where there's only one love interest. NOTHING. Please, I BEG YOU. P L E A S E.

It doesn’t help that I don’t like Prince Dorian, no, let me rephrase that, it doesn’t help that I load Prince Dorian, and that Celaena has the hots for him. I’m sorry, but I can’t stand the guy or the moronic relationship. HE’S AN ASS, FOR GOODNESS SAKE.

That said, fear not because I will be reading the next book in the series.

Fairy Tales Retold Challenge 2012 ~ 7/12
Photobucket

*PT* Cuidado com o Dálmata

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Throne of Glass.

08/16/2012 page 76
19.0% "This kind of reminds me of Poison Study"
08/17/2012 page 113
28.0% "Now it's a mix between Graceling and Divergent. Also, I hate that Prince. But I like Chaol. A lot."
show 2 hidden updates…