John Cain's Reviews > The Rise of the Roman Empire

The Rise of the Roman Empire by Polybius

M_50x66
Nov 21, 10

Read from September 26 to November 21, 2010

His descriptions of battles are far less confusing than those of Livy. On the other hand, Livy gives details and descriptions of people that are far more interesting than Polybius. I understand that much is edited out of this book, How that affets my comparision between the two authors I have no idea.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rise of the Roman Empire.

09/26/2010 page 17
10/05/2010 page 110
19.0% "This is the end of book one."
10/15/2010 page 202
35.0% "The tension mounts."
10/16/2010 page 202
35.0% "The tension mounts. The elephants are restless in the Alpine air. The Romans expect a skrminsh in Spain. The Greeks sing in chorus check to check,"
10/19/2010 page 248
43.0% "After his hike in the Alps and a march thorugh some marches Hannibal is down to one eye and one elephant, but Scipio is wounded. For the fool Flaminius he has a plan."
10/21/2010 page 260
45.0% "Hannibal twitters the guys back home that after taking some cities by storm he's had the adult males slain. Still Fabis refuses to fight. In a dream he sees a small boy eating an apple taking notes."
10/25/2010 page 290
50.0% ""As regards the necessities of life, there is no disputing the fact that the lands which surrounds the Pontus provide both cattle and slaves in the greatest quantities and of the highest quality..." p283 I wonder wha the future slaves might say about that observation."
11/07/2010 page 424
74.0% "According to Roman custom orders were given to exterminate all life. This is to insipre terror. So it is common to see men and dogs cut in half before the order of pilliag is given. see page 415. I think o this as a lesson in Roman resolve."
show 1 hidden update…