Ariana Deralte's Reviews > Two to Conquer

Two to Conquer by Marion Zimmer Bradley

2205678
Sep 26, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: action-adventure, scifi, fantasy, magic
Read from September 26, 2010 to January 01, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I think what probably annoyed me the most about this book (besides the fact that it was a fairly boring medieval fantasy with only the faintest trappings of scifi (also, how is it that tennis and wolves survive this colony ship, but not anything else? So odd.)) is that what we're pretty much told is that if Bard had just had his magic awakened sooner, all of this crap wouldn't have happened. I would have enjoyed reading the story of Bard who had had his magic awakened around the time of the hand fasting and his attempts to make up for what he'd done while living a good life.

I could have stood for the book being about half the length it is, and I really don't think adding in the doppelganger (stupid concept and the book would have been more interesting if the doppelganger had been from their planet like the one that was passed over was) in any way improved the story except to show that there's more than one way to try to redeem a rapist. The only good thing I can say about it is that there were a number of well characterized characters and stronger female characters than you'd think in a book following two rapists to true love. What a strangely happy ending too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Two to Conquer.