Kipi's Reviews > Plain Truth

Jan 12, 08

bookshelves: fiction
Recommended to Kipi by: Haylee
Read in September, 2007

My daughter mentioned to me that she had read several of Jodi Picoult's books and said that she thought I should read one. I have to admit that I had seen the books before, but they just didn't appeal to me; however, on Haylee's recommendation I gave this one a try. Wow. I literally could not put it down. I read until 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning several days in a row, only stopping when I could not keep my eyes open any longer. Ms. Picoult is a brilliant writer who can draw her reader into the lives of her characters like few other authors. Plain Truth is the story of Katie Fisher, an 18-year-old unmarried Amish girl who is accused of smothering her newborn baby and of the big-city attorney, Ellie Hathaway, who defends her. As a stipulation of Katie's bail, Ellie must become her guardian and so moves into the Fishers' home, and their relationship, Ellie's growing understanding and appreciation of the Amish way of life and the mystery of who killed the infant in the Fishers' barn is masterfully woven together into a drop-everything-and-read-it-cover-to-cover-in-one-sitting story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Plain Truth.