The UHQ Nasanta's Reviews > Charity Girl

Charity Girl by Georgette Heyer

Sep 05, 11

bookshelves: genre-historical-romance, romance, romance-clean-closed-doors, e-books, e-books-kindle, own, romance-friends-to-lovers, read-books-2011, heroes-i-liked, reviewed
Read from September 03 to 05, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

The descriptions about this book strongly reminded me of another Georgette Heyer book, The Foundling, and I had a strong feeling that I would know how things would turn out. I was right.

I really liked Desford although he seemed a little too perfect. I enjoyed his exchanges with his crotchety father, and how could one hate a guy who was so gallant towards his mother? The interactions between Desford and Henrietta clearly showed their closeness but like everyone else, it seemed one of just two young people who had grown up as close friends with each other. Henrietta was too good. She was a bit snobbish, very mindful of class distinctions in one scene, which tarnished the halo a bit in my eyes, but still remained generous and a kind friend to Charity.

Charity was too helpless, too naive and eager to please, and too boring, and her father was over the top. He seemed like a caricature of a con man, and not at all like an Honorable. While Desford and Henrietta might have found him amusing, I found him irritating as Simon and tiresome.

I thought that Desford's quest to help Charity took too long. There were so many obstacles that I grew a bit bored and eager for the end. He is sent here and there, and manages to get to a resolution just as everything was coming to a close, and that was just too many convenient inconveniences for me. Desford just couldn't get a break, and neither could I. I struggled with the scene when Simon is forced to deal with Mr. Steane, and I was ready to bang my head against the wall. I just wanted Simon to throw the guy out.

Basically, the only thing I really liked about this book was Desford and his interactions with the people he comes into contact with. Most of the other parts of the book kind of just bored me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Charity Girl.