Wicked Lil Pixie (Natasha)'s Reviews > Alpha

Alpha by Rachel Vincent

Oct 04, 10

Read from September 26 to 27, 2010 — I own a copy

Alpha is the final book in Rachel Vincent’s Shifter series and while it was packed with all sorts of action, I’m still a little on the fence about how I truly feel about the ending of this series.

Alpha continues almost right where we left off in Shifter, and now it’s time to face the Pride Council where they will vote for the new head. Just before all that happens, Faythe’s Pride meet Ethan’s human girlfriend, Angela, who is pregnant with his child. It was a great way to wrap up Ethan’s life, though we really have no more mentions of Angela after this. Of course at the Pride meeting, big things happen that threaten Faythe, Marc & Jace’s lives.

Rachel Vincent’s writing is truly amazing, the characters inspired extreme reactions. There is no inbetween, you either hate, love or are annoyed by certain characters. For example, by the end of the first 100 pages you will hate Dean more then you thought was possible and you’ll love Faythe’s father more then you have in previous novels.

That said, I still am annoyed with Faythe. While she has grown a lot, she still sits on the damn fence for too long with Marc & Jace. I really wanted to smack her in regards to the love triangle, she strings them along way to long. Half the book I was screaming “pick already!” and the other half I just was irritated with her, hell I’m still irritated with Faythe. I wasn’t really happy with the way she went about picking & to be honest, it was wrapped up too neatly for me. I’d have been hella pissed if I was the male she didn’t pick!

It wouldn’t be a Shifter’s novel without some deaths that shock the hell right out of you, Ms. Vincent is truly the queen of making me cry like a baby without a pacifier. 2am, I’m sobbing into my pillow. How pathetic am I? I couldn’t put the book down until I got through some of the emotional parts & thinking it was over. Ha. I was sobbing again this afternoon, Ms. Vincent can write one hell of a scene to leave you clutching your kleenex. We thought Ethan’s was bad, just you wait.

Nevermind the anger this book inspires, if I could have jumped through the pages & helped the Pride fight, I would have!

My reason for 4 stars and not 5, the ending came so fast. I felt like the book really needed a longer epilouge, it was a quick bam the end. For characters I have grown to know and like so well, it was way to abrupt for me. Maybe that means spin-off? Wouldn’t that be nice? Hint Hint.

Alpha left me with a bit of a broken heart, I know fictional characters but damn can Rachel Vincent mess with you. Keep your kleenex handy, you’ll need it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alpha.

09/26/2010 page 47
show 2 hidden updates…

Pamela / SpazP I am chomping at the bit to read this and read your review. I'll have my copy on Friday FINALLY.