Janna's Reviews > Love Me Tender

Love Me Tender by Janice Hanna

Sep 26, 2010

Read in September, 2010

I love the concept of this new series by Summerside Press. Each book is set in a different music period and the music of that time plays a central character in the story. I believe this is the first one and it struck a chord with me because it is set in my favorite musical time - the 50's - love it! Janice does an amazing job of making the music an important part of the story and I loved the waves of nostalgia as I read it. The jukebox in the diner makes a fun addition as the songs change when people are having conversations and the titles usually have some commentary on the conversation - too fun! The characters are fun, Debbie and Johnny are great, I expected to hate Bobby but he turns out to be a good guy and then Becky Ann and her little friends add the groupie feel that is needed when you are writing about heartthrobs. The storyline itself is a little simplistic, not in a bad way - the style is reminiscient of Wanda Brunstetter, but it is different from the other books by Janice I've read. Nothing is left for the reader to figure out, everything is stated for us very clearly. But that also means that I can see this as a book I can have my daughter read and I think she would love it to. For me this was a wonderful walk in a nostalgic park that I would visit again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Me Tender.