Rose's Reviews > World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War

World War Z by Max Brooks

Oct 21, 10

bookshelves: dystopian-speculative-fiction, zombies
Read from October 13 to 20, 2010

Conceptually I really like it. The idea of telling the story of a zombie "infection" basically killing off the world and all the folks who were involved in some way and what role they themselves played in the war on the zombies through interview (vingettes) was clever. Besides that, the over all story, or lack of story, was boring.

This story felt told over and over and over again in such a repetitive fashion to me. I felt it could have had so many different variations of how it played out using different voices from all over the world, with all the cultures, etc. I would have liked to have heard from families, women, children, something more emotionally gripping and heart renching. The loss of life, the loss of our world. But instead the voices sounded cold and militaristic. Since it was mostly men, military stratagies or politics, it just bored me and went on too long. Like I said, I think he had a good idea here, but didn't quite do it for me.

I believe this book was not really a horror story per se as much as it was a social commentary of our society and the way we would respond to such a disaster.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read World War Z.

10/17/2010 page 110
32.0% "Tasty."

Rose Exactly Dave! I couldn't get a single emotive response out of this book. I should have simply put World War ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ for snooze LOL.

Jackie I was surprised at all the positive reviews. I was unimpressed. I felt more like you did. I had no connection to these people, and worse, I didn't care.

Rose I actually enjoyed the movie more than the book. However, that's not really saying much :)