Felicia's Reviews > Unclean Spirits

Unclean Spirits by M.L.N. Hanover

Sep 26, 10

bookshelves: vaginal-urban-fantasy, urban-paranormal
Read in September, 2010

One of the many many UF series out there, this one a tad less romancey than usual, i suspect that MLN Hanover is a guy by the way he writes. Mmmm...what I liked: really good dialogue. I thought the setup was a bit hard to buy I can overlook that, I guess the thing that bugged me most is that i didn't buy the romance at all. On PAPER it's really interesting actually (no spoilers, but the romance takes nonstandard twists that i hadn't seen before) but i guess i felt the secondary characters were pretty thin on being able to latch onto them, especially that romantic interest. I dunno, I will read the next one because i enjoyed the tone.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unclean Spirits.

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen You're correct - MLN Hanover is a guy. MLN Hanover is Daniel Abraham, a fantasy author.

message 2: by Jenn (new) - rated it 1 star

Jenn I couldn't finish this book. I tried to get into the characters until pg. 125 and I gave up. No vested interest in any of the characters.

message 3: by Mark (new)

Mark Hunter Is it easy for you to tell when the writer's a male? This is something I've heard before, and I'm curious because I'm a male whose first romance novel is coming out next year.

message 4: by Jason (new)

Jason I like the cover, though

Felicia Yeah, I had a hard time with it too, it'll be tough to read the second one.

Yeah, I could definitely tell it was a guy writing. I dunno why, I'd have to think about it, just a gut instinct really.

message 6: by Mark (new)

Mark Hunter Good news: My fiancee just told me I write like a girl. I'm going to pretend it's a compliment.

Males and females are generally different enough that their writing would also be different, so it makes sense that you could tell. Still, my romantic comedy sold and lots of men write romance, so I'm not worried. I'll spend my worrying capitol on the mystery I just finished, written from the POV of a 15 year old girl.

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy The series picks up & does get interesting around book 3 & book 4 delivers some really good twists.