Sara's Reviews > Friday Mornings at Nine

Friday Mornings at Nine by Marilyn Brant

Oct 14, 10

bookshelves: first-reads, 2010, adult-fiction
Read from October 06 to 12, 2010

I won this book from Goodreads and what a good one it was to read! Jennifer, Bridget, and Tamara are married mothers who meet up once a week for coffee, talking about their lives rather superficially until the one day when Jennifer talks about getting emails from her ex... and they all begin to think about choices they've made in the past and what could happen if they acted on impulses instead of sticking out their imperfect marriages because that's what they feel is expected. Jennifer still wonders what could have or should have been with her ex from college, had he not dumped her without explanation before graduation; Bridget finds herself exploring new hobbies in an effort to impress her boss; and Tamara, starved for attention, strikes up a friendship with her attractive neighbor. Woven into all these plots are subplots to do with the their kids and husbands, all posing obstacles that prevent the women from truly understanding what they want out of life.

There was a lot of character growth throughout the book (always a good thing!), and I liked how different the three women's storylines were, despite being based on the same sort of "what if..." scenario. The beginning felt a little rough around the edges, especially in terms of dialogue, but this may be because the story hadn't taken off and I had yet to be drawn into the characters. Many moral issues were raised, and there were a number of thought-provoking points - even more if you count the questions in the reader's guide at the end of the book! I think this would be a fun one to discuss with a book club.

I really enjoyed the book overall and think the author did a great job bringing three somewhat tame stories to life in a way that was both entertaining and thoughtful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Friday Mornings at Nine.