Kallie M's Reviews > The Way of Shadows

The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks

F_50x66
Oct 02, 10

bookshelves: fantasy
Recommended for: Anyone who enjoys fantasy.
Read from September 26 to October 01, 2010

This has got to be one of the best books I have read if not in my life then this year.

Although the beginning is just a bit slow, it is well worth it later when the pace picks up dramatically. This book encompasses so much between the covers (I'm not going to say 'in so little pages' because that would be stretching it too far - the book is 650 pages) but I don't care that it took me a week to finish it, I wouldn't have cared if it had taken a month.

But in warning, 'The Way of Shadows' is a more darker book. The beginning especially. But in a way it makes the book almost real. The characters have important decisions to make and they sometimes don't make the right ones. And not all of the characters make it out perfectly without a scratch. No, there is actually development in this book. The characters have to make sacrifices and not everything turns out the way they, or I, wanted. But that's reality! That's how it works in our world as well, and the author made a spectacular decision to make the magical world he created seem just a little more realistic.

Though not like the traditional fantasies, where the hero saves the damsel in distress while beating countless odds and saving his perfect kingdom with it's perfect rulers and government, this book has corruption, betrayal, and even the 'good guys' have dark sides that are shown. And, as I believe more books should have, there is more than one villain; very detailed and intricate ones. Some are introduced from the very beginning, others are brought in towards the end, and others you've known from the beginning but don't realize it until the end.

Another thing about things introduced in the beginning: there are a lot of them that will have great effect later. And the best thing is that you don't realize it until they start making themselves known. I wish that I could explain more into the matter but then that would give away a lot of surprises.

Needless to say, The Way of Shadows is a spectacular read for anyone who appreciates a great book. And I cannot wait to get started on the next.

If you've read the whole review, I congratulate you. Have a cookie.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Way of Shadows.