Linda Lipko's Reviews > A Beautiful Blue Death

A Beautiful Blue Death by Charles Finch

Sep 26, 2010

liked it
Read in August, 2010

I had to think about this book a few hours before writing a review. Why the hesitation? It isn't that I didn't like it. It isn't that it wasn't interesting. It wasn't so boring that I didn't finish it.

There is a scene in the 1984 movie Amadeus where Mozart's rival Antonio Salieri laments that he is "the patron saint of medicrity."

In pondering what to say about A Beautiful Blue Death, I was reminded of that quote. This book is indeed mediocre to the point that while it is worthy reading, it is not stellar, it misses the pinacle and despite attempts by the author, it simply falls flat.

Charles Lennox is a wealthy Victorian aristocrat who drinks a lot of tea, often sits in front of a cozy fire place, dines with the finest members of society and has a "lady" friend who is smart, rich and caring.

An intelligent fellow with lots of disposable income and a plethora of time, Charles enjoys the thrill of solving crimes. When Lady Jane asks his help in discovering who killed her previous maid, Charles elicits the help of his brother, his physician friend, his butler and a host of other characters.

Along the way, Charles drinks more tea, walks in a lot of snow, eats good food, flirts with his lady friend, drinks more tea, solves a crime and then, drinks more tea.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Beautiful Blue Death.