Taka's Reviews > Labyrinths: Selected Stories and Other Writings

Labyrinths by Jorge Luis Borges

Oct 01, 10

bookshelves: 1-fiction-you-must-read, japan_jul07-aug11, spanish-latin-american-lit
Read from September 26 to October 01, 2010

FANTASTIC--

Jorge Luis Borges is an undisputed master of the short story. In this collection you find most of his shorts from his famous Ficciones and El Aleph plus some goodies including tasty essays and parables.

Far and away, his stories from Ficciones are the BEST, especially "The Garden of the Forking Paths," "The Library of Babel," "Theme of the Traitor and the Hero,""Death and the Compass," and "The Secret Miracle." Others are also superb, but these are the creme of the crop. His stories from his later anthology, El Aleph are sadly inferior, focusing more on the conceptual than the story and a lot more intellectual and arcane.

It's unbelievable how VASTLY I underrated him when I first read him in college. Now, I can appreciate all his intellectual games, story twists, and strange unreality where metaphysics, fantasy, myth, erudition, and the quotidian intermingle into one labyrinthine structure.

HIGHLY recommended. At least read the selections from Ficciones. They'll blow you away.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Labyrinths.