Valerie's Reviews > The World Above

The World Above by Cameron Dokey

Sep 03, 14

bookshelves: fantasy, retellings
Read from September 25 to 28, 2010

Jack and the Beanstalk with a girl, huh? Is what I thought when I first heard about this retelling. However, it worked nicely into this book. Jack has a twin sister and her name is Gen and she helps quite a bit in the success of her brother.

I like it that Gen isn't one of those who seek out adventure. A reluctant heroine if you will. While Gen is practical and dependable Jack is spontaneous and erratic. So when it is Jack who brings home the magic beans he is more than ready to climb up to the world above. But things go wrong and Gen must eventually go rescue him.

What I like about the series is that the books are short and sweet. Although sometimes I wish the plots and characters were more developed, it's refreshing to not have to read so much about all the world building that other fantasy books usually do. Dokey makes it very uncomplicated and easy. There is a World Above past the clouds. Never mind that it's supposed to be cold up there and the air is supposed to be thin, there are people living up there (period). But don't get the wrong idea, I love fantasy and the world building is usually very fun. It's just a nice change.

Loved the whole bit on Robin Hood in the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The World Above.

09/28/2010 page 224

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ginny Lucky! I can't seem to get a copy! My library doesn't have it, and I haven't seen it at any bookstores!!!

Valerie Ha, Ha, Ha! Your library will never get it.