Jackie's Reviews > The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

Sep 25, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: fiction

The issues: The first 100 or so pages of this book went really slow and almost makes you want to give up. I figured out part of the ending within the first third of the book. I can see why people have speculated if Mikael was a bit of a male version of a Mary Jane. Does he really have to sleep practically every woman in the book? There are some brutal and graphic scenes that will offend some people. The Swedish names/geography were a bit confusing (I almost had to start a list to remember who was who). I know there are 2 more books to go but the very deliberate vagueness of Lisabeth's history and back-story was a bit annoying. The interaction between Lisabeth and Mikael was a bit of stretch for me. She trusted him way too easily to keep in tune with persona that Larsson made for her.

These problems aside, it was still a very solid book. After the first 100 page set-up, the plot picks up nicely and flows well. The characters were fleshed out. I was able to fold myself into Larsson's story and was ready to see where the story would go. I'll most assuredly be picking up the 2nd book.