Jason's Reviews > World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War

World War Z by Max Brooks

Dec 17, 12

bookshelves: read-2010
Read in September, 2010

This novel surprised me. I knew it would be fun and entertaining and that it would have zombies. I never expected it to actually be good. Brooks makes the right choice in making this book about the human element, giving less information than many would in a book covering such a spread of time (though sometimes still giving more than I wish he would) and making the entire thing about how people, real people, would deal with such an event.

The problem, of course, is that Brooks, while a better writer than someone like Richard Matheson, is not that great. The book is told from the perspectives of dozens of people but there are only really four voices that sound unique and they tend to simply repeat, which can be a little tedious. What is worse are the failed gimmicks (the grown woman who was a girl at the time and has not matured since then, the various THEY'RE CRAZY twists). The biggest problem is that this takes you away from the interestingly rendered people and their tales of woe that are staggeringly fun to read and told in such a way as to be completely feasible.

On a parting note, the political opinionating got a little grating as well. I brushed it off as immature, but others may get a bit hung up on it. Luckily it is brief and does not occur often.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read World War Z.