Teresa's Reviews > Surfacing

Surfacing by Margaret Atwood

Oct 03, 10

liked it
Read in October, 2010

An interesting, compelling read about a young woman's intense struggle with her reactions to civilization encroaching on nature, how the dichotomy has played out in her own life and, through her eyes, in the wider world as well.

I did like this book, the 3 stars are only because of the novels by Atwood that I like even more -- she's one of my favorite writers. Even with this early book, one can see themes emerging that she will use in later works, too, though in different ways, as I find she's always inventive.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Surfacing.

message 1: by Barbara (new)

Barbara How did I miss this one? I like M. Atwood! I'm waiting for your verdict!

Teresa It's old - her 2nd novel, I believe. Have you read her first, "The Edible Woman?" Love that one!

message 3: by Barbara (new)

Barbara WOW! I guess that I have "gaps"!

message 4: by Judy (new)

Judy I've read this one a couple of times years ago and remember liking it a lot, although memories of her older novels have now blurred together in my mind somewhat.

Cynthia I read it so long ago I can't remember anything about it.

Teresa Cynthia wrote: "I read it so long ago I can't remember anything about it."

lol Judy and Cynthia, I know what y'all mean, of course.

I read this while we were in Maine last week and it was a good one to do so, since we were doing the 'nature thing' ;) though certainly not even close to the extent that this character does!

Cynthia Hey if this is her only dud she's still doing fine.

Teresa Cynthia wrote: "Hey if this is her only dud she's still doing fine."

And it isn't really a dud, it's just that I loved her first novel, "The Edible Woman," so much that it overshadows this one for me, as far as her early novels go. This one is as fascinating as almost anything else she's written.

message 9: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Teresa, we were up in Maine a few weeks ago! Perhaps we passed each other. Where did you go? We only traveled about 2 1/2 hours from here in MA.

message 10: by Teresa (last edited Oct 04, 2010 08:52PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Teresa Barbara wrote: "Teresa, we were up in Maine a few weeks ago! Perhaps we passed each other. Where did you go? We only traveled about 2 1/2 hours from here in MA."

We flew into Portland Saturday a week ago (the 25th) and then took a day trip to places like Kittery, Portsmouth (NH) and York. That Monday we saw Owl's Head, Bath and Rockland. The next day we spent in Camden and the rest of the week we were in Bar Harbor. We got back yesterday (the 3rd) -- had a great time.

What about you?

message 11: by Barbara (new)

Barbara We have been to all of the places mentioned in the past. We just wanted a few days away and to eat much lobster. We were at Cape Elizabeth, traveled around, visited and hiked through a lovely, oceanside state park. We stayed in Falmouth. It was especially pleasaant because the tourist season is over and there were no crowds. The lobsters were delicious, by the way.

Cynthia I'm so jealous :(. teasers....

Teresa Barbara wrote: "We have been to all of the places mentioned in the past. We just wanted a few days away and to eat much lobster. We were at Cape Elizabeth, traveled around, visited and hiked through a lovely, ocea..."

My husband must've had 4 or 5 whole lobsters while we were there, and that's not counting the lobster roll, the lobster bisque ... Lobster isn't my thing, so I had a lot of mussels, scallops etc. -- all very good.

We did drive through Cape Elizabeth on our first day in Maine, on our way to one of those food stands on the shore where you can eat outside if you like. Lovely area.

Teresa Cynthia wrote: "I'm so jealous :(. teasers...."

If it makes you feel any better, C, most of the weather we had was fog and rain ;) though to tell you the truth, I loved it -- so atmospheric, esp when we were visiting lighthouses. Walking a long breakwater to one of them (just us and the gulls), I felt like I was in a Stephen King novel -- and I don't even read Stephen King novels!

Cynthia Sounds like a wonderful get away. Aren't lighthouses magical? It's been rainy most of the week and last week we had record high temps. So odd.

Teresa Cynthia wrote: "Sounds like a wonderful get away. Aren't lighthouses magical? It's been rainy most of the week and last week we had record high temps. So odd."

I'm not sure what it is about lighthouses, but I've been 'collecting' them in recent years.

We came home to beautiful weather -- our heat finally left (for now). October -- and March -- are great weather-months in N.O.

message 17: by Barbara (last edited Oct 06, 2010 10:01AM) (new)

Barbara We encountered rain and fog too, but I'm a New Englander, so what else is new? It certainly beat the ferocious heat we had all summer!
Lobster in the rough, lobster rolls, clam chowder, etc., etc., ...
By the way, I love the fall here. It is crisp, vibrant and very colorful- my favorite season!

Teresa Barbara wrote: "... Lobster in the rough, lobster rolls, clam chowder, etc., etc...."

Yep, my husband got clam chowder at just about every restaurant we went to. And then I, of course, had a taste too!

Cynthia You guys are making me hungry.

message 20: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Come to New England, C!

Cynthia For now I'll have to just go buy a can of soup :(.

message 22: by Barbara (new)

Barbara You may buy a can of soup, but it will never equal NE clam chowder or lobster bisque!

Cynthia I broke down and had some Progresso clam chowder just now made in St. Louis I think with home grown St Louisan clams. lol

Teresa lol Tom eats those, though I wonder what he'll think of it now that he's recently had the 'real' thing!

Cynthia I'm feelin him. I have some friends who swear by Washington State chowder.

message 26: by Barbara (new)

Barbara I hope that those chowders aren't NY style, with tomatoes, which is totally unacceptable!

Cynthia Progresso has both but I like the creamy one best.

message 28: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Iknew that you had good taste!

message 29: by Maria (last edited Oct 09, 2010 05:36PM) (new)

Maria Never mind about Atwood (and I love her so much although haven't read this one ever), it's got to be NEW ENGLAND clam chowder all the way, you guys. I haven't eaten it for over 30 years and I realize I must have some FORTHWITH, so who wants to trek up to Maine, Cynthia? The other two just got back, but I haven't been there in years and years -- I wish I could retire there; I'm madly in love with the gray, the misty otherworldly spookiness & the sharp clarity of the light. Very Daphne duMaurier, & inland is trees. Moose. Bliss.

Cynthia Maria,

Don't you love the mist. We seldom get it here but when we do it's magical.

message 31: by Barbara (new)

Barbara I'll bet you never saw the "Elder Bush's" compound. It is misty for sure- a big gated peninsula.

Cynthia Speaking of Maine if anyone's interested the gr group 'constant reader' will be reading Harding's 'tinkers' starting on the 15th.

Cynthia Barbara wrote: "I'll bet you never saw the "Elder Bush's" compound. It is misty for sure- a big gated peninsula."

ps

I think I should get extra points for not running with 'elder bush'.

message 34: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Cynthia wrote: "Speaking of Maine if anyone's interested the gr group 'constant reader' will be reading Harding's 'tinkers' starting on the 15th."

I noticed that. Perhaps we should participate, C.

Cynthia I'm listening to the book again and I'll definitely be reading along and commenting if anything strikes me.

Teresa Maria wrote: "... I'm madly in love with the gray, the misty otherworldly spookiness & the sharp clarity of the light. Very Daphne duMaurier, & inland is trees. Moose. Bliss. "

Moose (and other wildlife) were the only thing missing from our Maine trip. We saw none.

Teresa Cynthia wrote: "ps I think I should get extra points for not running with 'elder bush'."

Is that because Barbara credited you with having good taste?!

Cynthia lol She tries to keep me on the up and up. I like your new pic btw.

message 39: by Teresa (last edited Oct 11, 2010 10:42AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Teresa Cynthia wrote: "lol She tries to keep me on the up and up. I like your new pic btw."

Thank you, C!