Alex's Reviews > Night Watch

Night Watch by Eden Winters

Oct 08, 10

bookshelves: romance, queer, short-story
Read in October, 2010

This story probably isn't strong enough to stand alone, although the plot itself is self contained. It's a nice story, but nothing amazing. It is very touching to watch Jay "deal" with Michael's problems and seeing the relationship from his perspective (since Michael would surely say Jay got the raw end of the deal).

What I liked
I felt the story really picked up once Jay actually arrived home. I realize the need for the detour, but that section dragged a little for me (on the other hand, the story would probably feel like it was missing something if it wasn't there). More than the sex (not that I minded that, it was enjoyable!), I liked watching Jay help Michael come out of himself and his memories through the sensory questions, especially when Michael describes Jay's touches on him.

What didn't work
There was one possible plot hole: The story takes place on July 4th, and the fireworks of New Years are referenced, but The Telling takes place in spring, which mean a July 4th would have already passed once.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night Watch.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eden (new) - added it

Eden Winters Hi, Alex,

Glad you found the story enjoyable. The grounding (sensory questions)was something a friend's counselor taught her to deal with anxiety. I've used it myself many times with great results.