Reese's Reviews > It's Kind of a Funny Story

It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini

Oct 10, 10

Read from September 26 to October 10, 2010

It’s Kind Of A Funny Story:
Find Out What Teenage Depression Is Really Like?

Craig Gilner has checked himself into a mental ward. Will his depression go away or will Craig choose to end his life? In the book It’s Kind Of A Funny Story by Ned Vizzini the main character, Craig, is suffering from depression. This book is realistic fiction because the events in it could easily be true. This book takes place in New York City in a modern day time frame. The main characters in this book besides Craig are Aaron, Craig’s parents, Craig’s sister Sarah, Nia, Noelle and Armelio. I would give this book three out of five stars, because in my opinion it was very hard to read and confusing. If you happen to not understand one paragraph you might not understand that whole chapter (that happened to me often). In the book, It’s Kind Of A Funny Story, Craig struggles with his depression in three main ways; Craig’s having trouble in school, he’s not fitting in with his friends and he’s so nervous he can’t eat or sleep.

Craig studied so hard to get into he high school now he’s falling behind. ”Hello this is your science teacher. We need to talk about the lack of your labs”, (231) Craig’s science teacher announced to him on a message he left . Craig feels like he’s the dumbest kid in school . He’s having a much tougher time in his new school. He wanted to get into a good school so he could get into a good college and have a perfect life. So far it’s not working out, which is really making him depressed.

Craig is also not fitting in with his friends. Craig’s best friend Aaron has a girlfriend. Craig feels like the third wheel. “When you came did you know you were going to hook up with Aaron”(132) asked Craig to Nia. Craig wonders if he ever had a chance with Nia. Along with this, Craig’s friends made fun of him for being in the mental ward. Not fitting in added to Craig’s depression.
Craig gets very anxious about many thing. He also throws up after he eats. Sometimes he won’t eat because he doesn’t want to throw up. “People give me strange looks; what’s wrong Craig, why aren’t you eating?”(33) When Craig gets anxious he worries and thinks too much. The worrying makes overcoming his depression even harder.

In the book It’s Kind Of A Funny Story, Craig struggles with his depression in three main ways; Craig’s having trouble in school, he’s not fitting in with his friends and he’s so nervous he can’t eat or sleep. I can relate to Craig because I get worried too. I know how frustrating it can be not to be able to relax or to fall asleep because you can’t stop worrying. In conclusion, when reading this book I realized that you should let your friends know when you are going through a real tough time, because even though you may not know it, they may be able to relate and help you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It's Kind of a Funny Story.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kayne wow sounds like a good book

message 2: by Elena (new)

Elena I loved your review! I liked how you mention that craig doesnt really fit in and he is struggling with depression because that makes the story sound more interesting! This could be a true story because it could actually happen. I think the movie is coming out soon

Noah I really love your review. I really enjoyed this book because it was so intense. Your review described the intensity very well. i like how you were relating yourself to the book in your conclusion. I loved your review. It makes me want to read it again to get to the deeper meaning which i have missed the first time.

Gill I like how you told us why he is depressed. You really centered the book review around the depression which is good, because that's what the book is about. Good job Reese, I'm putting this on my to-read shelf right now.

message 5: by Cole (new)

Cole nice review makes me want to read it. i like how you gave examples and said what you struggled with when you were reading it. aren't they coming out with a movie

Ashley I agree with you, I really liked this book. I learned from it that if I have something wrong with me i shouldn't just keep it to myself i should tell my friends because keeping it to myself is not good. I like everything you explained in the book review.You explained every detail in the book. Your book review is very good and i agree with you on everything you said in the review.