Barbara Nourse's Reviews > Apples Are from Kazakhstan: The Land That Disappeared

Apples Are from Kazakhstan by Christopher Robbins

Sep 25, 10

Recommended to Barbara by: Coffeeboss
Recommended for: anyone interested in history of other countries
Read from September 14 to 24, 2010 , read count: 1

I learned so much history from this book! The author writes the story of his experiences in modern day Kazakhstan with very interesting, readable history. From meeting the Kazakh Beatle, listening to the stories of an old man who has survived the horrors of communist rules whose wife shares pickled tomatoes, to understandiing such notable persons as Tolstoy and Solzhenitsyn in Kazakhstan this book is readable history at its best. To fully absorb all that is in this book it needs a second reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Apples Are from Kazakhstan.

Coffeeboss Wahhh! You beat me! :)
I'm over halfway done, but am already getting worried that with all my school reading that I'll have to put it aside. I'm really enjoying the book though, and totally agree with your review (just read the Kazakh Beatle part!).

Barbara Nourse Coffeeboss wrote: "Wahhh! You beat me! :)

You made it - school work and all. So glad I can find books on goodreads I would normally not even know about or think to read - Thanks!

Coffeeboss Yeah, I just had to finish the book! I told a friend at work I was reading on the bus, and she said, "It *IS* homework you're reading, right? It'd better be!" and I slumped my shoulders and said, "No... It's a book about Kazakhstan! But I want to finish it!!!" :)