Bookbee's Reviews > A Red-Tainted Silence

A Red-Tainted Silence by Carolyn  Gray

Jun 25, 11

bookshelves: m-m, contemporary, e-book, 2011, favourites, read_deleted-from-reader-for-room
Read from June 19 to 24, 2011

Wow, Wow, Wow...just WOW! I finished reading this last night but felt I needed to sleep on it before I could write my review. It's morning now and I am still no closer to being able to do this book justice.

The format worked for me - switching from present to past and back again, revealing the story in tantalizing tidbits. The first person POV, first Brandon then Nicholas, worked well. Amazingly, each MC was revealed more fully by the other narrator, painting a complex and detailed portrait.

This was an emotional, oft-times gut wrenching read that once or twice sucked the breath right out of me. The characters were flawed, yes, but so well and humanly drawn. I loved Nicholas, the whirlwind, the charismatic performer who drew all into his orbit, but it was Brandon,the white knight, the damaged boy, who took up residence in my heart and soul.

Go. Read. You'll be better for it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Red-Tainted Silence.

06/19/2011 "I've had this in my TBR pile for some time - the length has been intimidating! I'm feeling brave today, so here I go... :)" 3 comments
06/23/2011
50.0% "*sigh* I love these guys, flaws and all. The slow reveal of this book works well for me."
06/24/2011
71.0% "Just finished Part 1. I'm gutted!!!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Td (new) - rated it 5 stars

Td You made it!!! :D I was a little worried after that "gutted" update...

Bookbee Td wrote: "You made it!!! :D I was a little worried after that "gutted" update..."

I did, I did!!! I posted the "gutted" comment after Brandon finishes his shower, enters the bedroom and collapses into "A Red-Tainted Silence". I was devastated but I persevered! Thank goodness, because this is an amazing book!

message 3: by Td (new) - rated it 5 stars

Td I knew EXACTLY the part you were talking about, my belly did a flip when you mentioned it. This was probably one of the first m/m books I read when I first got into the genre maybe about three years ago. I've re-read it about once a year since and it's still amazing every time. Actually, I think I'm about due for another re-read soon. :)