Steve's Reviews > Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking

Blink by Malcolm Gladwell

Oct 24, 10

bookshelves: sociology, mind
Read in March, 2009

If your gut instinct is to be wary of those who follow their gut instinct, don't be put off by this book's theme. Blink explores not only the power of our unconscious, but also delves into its fallibility, with the redeeming point that snap judgments and first impressions can ultimately, to some degree, be educated and controlled.

Structurally and stylistically very similar to The Tipping Point - a single premise fleshed out with an eclectic mix of anecdotes recounted by Gladwell in that same effortless style - this is, for the most part, a fascinating and pleasurable read.

I'd have liked to have read more about how we can train our instinctive thinking to outperform decisions made cautiously and deliberately. Also, a bit more scientific evidence to counter the sense that these were just cherry-picked case studies. People and situations are described vividly and absorbingly, but the science is noticeably lacking.

Nevertheless, Blink is an easy and fascinating read, if only for the anecdotes themselves.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blink.