A Canadian Girl's Reviews > The Liar Society

F_50x66
Jun 16, 11

bookshelves: 4-stars, 2011, sourcebooks
Read in June, 2011

It’s been a long time – probably a decade at least – since I read a mystery because the last ones I seem to remember reading are those from the Nancy Drew series. So, it’s a good thing that sisters Lisa and Laura Roecker’s debut, The Liar Society, reminded me how entertaining sleuthing with a fictional character can be rather than turning out to be a disappointment.

The Roeckers’ writing was so much fun to read even when events in The Liar Society took a darker turn. Much like Kate, I didn’t trust anybody and was as confused as her by the mystery behind Grace’s death. The Roeckers even had me wondering if Grace’s ghost would suddenly show up! Luckily, there is a reasonable explanation for Grace’s emails and the book never delved into the paranormal realm.

Kate was a wonderful main character who was spunky and smart. She knew when she needed backup and wasn't above accepting help. Seth, Kate’s neighbour, however was my favourite character because of his conspiracy theories, huge crush on Kate, and general nerdiness. In real life, I’d probably find Seth annoying; but in The Liar Society, I just wanted him to be Kate’s shadow so I could laugh at their interactions.

For those looking for a break from reading paranormal/dystopian/whatever your preferred genre, The Liar Society is a good choice as a book to pick up. Be warned though, while the mystery of how Grace died is wrapped up, the ending opens up a new can of worms that will leave you wanting the sequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Liar Society.