oriana's Reviews > You Were Wrong

Jul 08, 11

bookshelves: read-2011
Recommended to oriana by: Krok Zero
Read from April 12 to 22, 2011

Apparently this is meant for fans of DFW and Ben Marcus, and I am stupid and out of touch for not knowing that already. Shit!

***

Oh god my I never reviewed this?? Shit. Ummm, I dunno about the DFW comparison, and honestly I've never been able to get into Ben Marcus. It's a cool book, though; Sharpe has a super weird writing style that was kind of hard to stay immersed in, but never became overly quirky or annoying. I guess maybe the DFW comparison is like how his characters have these ridiculously long speeches, with really solid, believable, conversational speech, although they kind of also sound like drawn-out thoughts more than actual things that people would say out loud to one another.

I maybe am too tired to be writing this review right now.

But it's a pretty simple story, heavy on the language, and since there's only a few characters, they're all really fleshed out and fascinating. They're also kind of all assholes, but unapologetic, kind of likable assholes? Ugh, this was a bad idea, I'm going to bed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Were Wrong.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tuck you gotta read you some matthew sharpe. 'jamestown" is just great, but its sort of a little like george suanders, so there.

Tuck i remember now, 'nothing is terrible" was very creepy to me and i couldnt even finish it.

oriana haha, okay. which of his books should I start with? I'm on a string of terrible books, so maybe some Matthew Sharpe will pull me out of it?

Tuck hah, you're walking a tightrope if you're looking to matthew sharpe to get you to the other side. this new one looks interesting. the "jamestown" book is pretty long and an historiacl fiction with the colonists, powhatans, john smith, all them doing very weird things on the shores of north america. at least this "you were wrong" is short. i would go for "dorkismo". though its a bit academic (maybe seems like it was a sociology masters thesis at one time?) there are some very funny parts and its inspirational for one trying to be oneself :)

oriana hmm, I kinda hate historical fiction. plus I'm poor right now, so I may have to find something that's already on my (voluminous) shelves to pull me out of this slump. but! I will totally get to You Were Wrong soon-ish...

message 6: by Keith (new)

Keith This is like your best review ever.

oriana I can't even tell if you're being sarcastic.

message 8: by Keith (new)

Keith Nope.

oriana Thanks? I kind of still don't believe you; this review is silly.