Rebecca Forster's Reviews > Devil's Lair

Sep 30, 10

Read from September 24 to 29, 2010

Devil’s Lair
David Wisehart

Devil’s Lair is by far the best book I have read in years. The premise is intriguing. A holy friar, a poet, a beautiful epileptic girl and an amnesiatic Knight Templar set out to reclaim the Holy Grail from Lucifer. Using Dante’s Inferno as their guide through hell, they come face to face with their own loves and lusts, disappointments and demons even as they move toward their Godly task to save the world from the pestilence.
Yet it is not just the inventiveness of this story that sets Devil’s Lair apart, it is the incredible craftsmanship shown by the author. It is evident that he loves language – English, Latin, Greek. It is evident that his grasp of Medieval history is impeccable (or so it seemed to me). It is evident that his understanding of the Church, the superstitions and the science of the time is beyond reproach. But it is his natural storytelling ability that quite simply makes this book a work of art.
Not once was I distracted by Mr. Wisehart’s knowledge. Indeed, he drew me in with characters so well drawn I felt I was walking beside them; time and place to exquisitely communicated that I was lost in both.
I am not usually a fantasy reader. I don’t often pick up historical novels. I have just begun to read Indie authors. I am so glad I took a chance on David Wisehart. He is an incredible writer, an amazing storyteller, an author who I hope writes many more books and gets the recognition he deserves. Don’t miss this one. Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Devil's Lair.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by VLynch (new) - added it

VLynch R-
Good news, kindle has an update, highlight a word and you get a defination instantly. I think I might need it for this book! Sounds good though! Better than the stupid $7 book I just paid for.. Ugh, what a waste!

V-

Rebecca Forster V - I'm glad to hear it because Devil's Lair gave me pause many a time but Wisehart's use of language and great storytelling made me want to learn every single one. :)