Clackamas's Reviews > The Maze in the Heart of the Castle

Jan 12, 2008

bookshelves: fantasy, pre-teen-and-teen, all-time-loves, made-me-who-i-am, 2012
Recommended to Clackamas by: Travis Illig
Read in February, 2012

**Reread 2/20/2012** I still love this book. I wish that it were still in print so that I could afford tp buy copies for the children in my life. I buy it pretty much every time I find it on Amazon for under $20 and promptly give it away to classroom libraries and kids we know. It makes me kind of sad that more kids don't get to grow with Colin. ***

I first read this book when I was ten years old. It was my introduction to the fastasy genre, as up until then, I'd read primarily The Babysitters Club and Sweet Valley High.

At the time, I thought Colin was whiny and annoying, but I fell in love with the world he was in. When I read it again a year later as a pre-teen, I related to his heartbreak. Again a year after that, I saw how important it was to keep trying, even when everyone else has given up and try to discourage you so that you can join in their misery.

Colin starts out as a self-centered whiny boy, learns to keep going when others say it's impossible, help those in need, when to fight back and when to run, how to love another, mend a broken heart, and keep sight of a goal. Each group of people that Colin runs into faces a different challenge emotionally... and he grows up as a result.

I loved this book as a child, teen, adult, and now as a parent who recently introduced it to my own nine year old. He loved it for the same reasons I did and insisted that we buy a copy for his school library.

"Everybody should read this one Mom, not just the kids who are already readers."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Maze in the Heart of the Castle.

Clackamas This is the one you're looking for! Keep looking. I've bought it several times for $25 and under... you just have to keep your eyes open for it and not be in a hurry.