warren Cassell's Reviews > Neither Wolf Nor Dog: On Forgotten Roads with an Indian Elder

Neither Wolf Nor Dog by Kent Nerburn

Oct 10, 10

Read from September 24 to October 10, 2010

Wow! This was an eye opener. Though it was published sometime ago, I hope that other misinformed/misguided Americans like me, who had no idea about White suppression of American Indians and their culture, will read Neither Wolf Nor Dog and learn, understand and empathize. Here are the thoughts, perceptions, memories and history of Indians from a curmudgeonly near octogenarian Lakota Indian as told to a sympathetic and sensitive Caucasian writer. Kent Nerburn, who had previous experience with Indian oral history on a reservation near his home in Minnesota, received a summons from an Indian elder, Don who lived on a reservation a thousand miles away. Don wanted Nerburn to hear his story of Indians in America and put it in a book. Nerburn agreed and after a false start or two, he taped this heart breaking but hopeful story which resulted in Neither Wolf Nor Dog. I note that Don was curmudgeonly and arrogant in addition. By the time I reached the middle of the book I had a revelation. How could one not have this degree of anger after having one’s people suffer so much at the hands of outsiders? By the end of the story, Nerburn had his epiphany which resulted in this inspiring work. I can’t recommend Neither Wolf Nor Dog highly enough.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Neither Wolf Nor Dog.