Fiction Fool's Reviews > Kiss of the Night

Sep 24, 2010

did not like it
bookshelves: reviewed, adult, paranormal-urban-fantasy
Read in October, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Kiss of the Night is the story of Cassandra, an Apollite Princess and the last surviving link to the God Apollo, and Wulf a viking turned Dark Hunter with a curse that prevents anyone from remembering him 5 minutes after they've met him.

This book was a disappointment in the worst way. After Dance with the Devil (Which by the way, is the only book in Kenyons collection that I've enjoyed so far) I was expecting more. The story was confusing and messy. It contradicted itself at every turn. Both Wulf and Cassandra's characters were one dimensional at best. The dialogue and reactions the two main characters had to each other and the surprises they were dealt within the story were unrealistic and odd. I just couldn't relate to either of them in any way.

There wasn't any chemistry to speak of, sexually or romantically. Just fast and repeat sex with no real relationship until you near the end of the book were their relationship finally blossoms. And speaking of sex scenes, you really need to be very, very careful with the choice of words you use to describe a scene. Some words, like LEAKING, just aren't sexy no matter how you try to use them. As in, "He was hard and leaking" Hmmm... instead, I found myself visualizing poor Wulf with incontinence. An uncontrollable drippy man faucet. Now how is that sexy? Some writers should just NOT do sex scenes. I'm thinking Kenyon should be put on that list. This isn't the first time I've run across language in her books that just DID NOT work due to the imagery it provided.

Some of my first problems with this book are the same problems I've ALWAYS had with the books in her series. It's monotonous.

1) The author's over use of "Oh Yeah" and "Ooo" for ALL of here characters. I think this is the author's inability to remove her own personality or personal dialogue from her characters. All the pithy things the characters say are things that I can imagine the author saying herself in her everyday life. Although, she seems to be getting a little better at it with each additional book in the series. It's still an ongoing issue.

2) Use of effeminate or goofy sounding dialogue for her male characters. Another ongoing issue with this series.

3) Repetitive, formulated, cookie cutter sex scenes. Unexciting and unimaginative.

4) Over use and abuse of adjectives. Many.

I'll pinpoint some major issues I had with this book. Be warned, there are spoilers here.

************* Spoiler Alert!!! ****************************

- In the beginning of the story Artemis cares about keeping Cassandra safe so that she and her brother Apollo do not die and the world does not come to an end. Because as well all know, as the last living blood link to Apollo's line, if Cassandra is killed Apollo will die, thus, Artemis will die and the world will come to an end. So she cares enough to send her handmaiden Katra to protect Cassandra. She also cares enough to get Wulf and Cassandra together in their dreams to procreate and make another living blood link to Apollo's line. But when Stryker is trying to kill Cassandra by attacking her in Wulf's home, she can't be bothered to come to their aid because according to Katra, she doesn't care if the world comes to an end. Huh? What? But didn't she REALLY seem to care about that earlier? She sure went through a lot of trouble before to just all of a sudden NOT CARE. And what about Apollo? Doesn't he care if he dies? Where the heck is he in all of this? It's his life on the line if Cassandra is off'd yet he doesn't come to play in the story at all. Very odd. A sign to me that the author just got plain lazy with the plot and didn't care if it contradicted itself. Either she didn't care... or like I said, to lazy to double check.

- Also, speaking of whole end of the world thing, why are all the bad guys so gung ho to off Cassandra and her baby anyway? If Cassandra or her baby dies... the world comes to an end. There is no incentive in this plot for the bad guys. If the world goes, they all go! NO ONE WINS! So what's in it for them? Nothing! The Destroyer can't rule the world if there isn't one. Does anyone else see that as a major flaw? Again, no thought put into the plot... LAZY.

- Another thing that doesn't make sense. Cassandra has been hunted by Apollites and Daemon's all her life who want to kill her because they think it will release them from the curse. And yet the place she goes to hide is an underground Apollite city. Because THEY understand that killing her and her baby would bring an end to the world. Finally! Thank God! Wait... Huh? So what about all the OTHER Apollites and Daemon's? Why didn't they understand this too? Again... LAZY.

- There is an uncomfortable moment when Wulf brings Cassandra to his home and they encounter Chris. Chris thinks that Wulf has brought Cassandra home for him because he's always trying to get him to procreate. Chris thinks that he has a chance with Cassandra and that she may like him because she had him over to her apartment a few days earlier to study with her. He even talks about it openly in front of them. And yet, that whole scenario is just sort of passed over and Wulf and Cassandra go straight into being pregnant and lovers in front of Chris without ever touching on what Chris's reaction to the whole surprising thing might have been. Just seemed weird. Like things were left unsaid and unresolved. And all the while I'm thinkin' poor Chris just got shoved aside by his own uncle! Huh? Am I the only one who found that weird and awkward? And it was never worked out! I think this was definite evidence of... LAZY.

- And last, the whole transfusion thing was another thing that seemed off to me. For one, if she was raised by an Apollite mother with Apollite sisters, there shouldn't be any reason not to expect that she would be drinking blood. If her body needs it then it makes sense that she would have cravings for blood. You can't possibly tell me that she wouldn't have cravings for it. She's half Apollite. It would both smell good and taste good to her. If it's the whole biting and mess thing that bothers her, then why can't she just drink from a glass? If you don't want it touching your lips... put it in a sippy! Be inventive! Seems a lot less COMPLICATED than going through with needles, blood bags and a transfusion. So much uneccessary and illogical effort. Especially since it would be a strangers blood she would be transfused with. Why go through that trouble when she could just drink her mother's or sisters blood through a straw. Problem solved. That whole thing seemed hokey and contrived. Like the author was trying (very poorly) to make the story fit somehow... LAZY.

I really had a hard time with this book. It irritated me more than the first 3 did that I didn't care for very much either. I was at least willing to give those books 3 stars and now I've changed my mind. I can tell the author didn't put much thought into this one or most of the others. She left it full of contradictions. Which is frustrating because it's obvious that it could have had promise. But in my honest opinion, I think the author didn't make any effort at all to make the story work. As another reviewer stated, "she's a poor writer, or a rather a lazy one." I couldn't agree more. All in all, this book was tiresome, confusing and messy. I had to give it 2 stars for that. On second thought, I think I'll change that to a one. It irritated me too much to reward it with an additional star.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kiss of the Night.