Kristen's Reviews > Queer

Queer by William S. Burroughs

Dec 12, 10

bookshelves: own

I have a passionate hatred for William Burroughs. I think even his fans have to concede that he's a degenerate piece of shit. I admit my prior experience with him consists of 5 pages of Naked Lunch and a couple biographies of various sorts, none of which fail to mention the pedophilia and him murdering his wife (I'm from Detroit, don't think for a second I buy his bullshit story), not that I'd hold that against him when rating this book.

I went into this book expecting it to be about heroin abuse and gay sex, you know some fun light reading, instead it turns about to be a sober, heartbreaking tale of profound universal human loneliness: "In deep sadness there is no place for sentimentality. It is as the mountains: a fact. There it is. When you realize it, you cannot complain."

The fact that this book is great somehow only makes me hate him more.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Alright Burroughs, I don't like you and you don't like me, but I found this for .50 cents today so I'm giving you one more shot to redeem yourself . . . Don't Fuck This Up!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Queer.

Comments (showing 1-17)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 17: by Blake (new)

Blake You + Cheap Books = LOL

Kristen What? Should I not included how much I paid for each book in every review?
50 cents Blake, you can't beat that!

message 15: by Michael (new)

Michael What is on the cover of this book? It looks like a turd on asphalt.

Kristen I think it's an upside down penis, or a heart that was smooshed and smeared against the ground . . . probably a penis though.

message 13: by Caris (new) - added it

Caris It's readable? Really? And not about gay sex? Or heroin?

I have yet to find a book that is less readable than Naked Lunch, but I actually kind of like Burroughs as a human being. He's interesting, but I've never cared for his writing. I'll have to give this one a look.

Kristen It's nothing like Naked Lunch, which I hated (the 5 pages of it I read anyways), Queer is more like, um, a 'real book'.

A graphic novel I read about the beats claims that Kerouac and Ginsberg basically wrote most of Burroughs' books themselves, being that he was such a degenerate junky piece of shit . . . . and I believe everything I read in graphic novels!

message 11: by Caris (new) - added it

Caris Ha! What book was that?

message 9: by Caris (new) - added it

Caris I'll be giving that one a look. Thanks.

message 8: by Mariel (new)

Mariel I love this review. I also love discounts. That makes this the second best review of the morning.

message 7: by Esteban (new)

Esteban del Mal Fucking people act like Burroughs invented thinking. The Algebra of Need is a junkie ripoff of Jeremy Bentham's hedonistic calculus.

message 6: by Caris (new) - added it

Caris You're just horny, Esteban.

message 5: by Esteban (new)

Esteban del Mal At least I can get it up! Burroughs couldn't! That's why he memorized You Can't Win!

message 4: by Joshua Nomen-Mutatio (last edited Dec 17, 2010 11:43AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio Caris wrote: "It's readable? Really? And not about gay sex? Or heroin?"

Find out over at my review of this book...

I was talking about discovering Naked Lunch in middle school last night. I slurred said something about how I randomly opened the book in the store to "the Steely Dan scene" and was horrified but possibly turned on as well, which fed into a feedback loop of horror-pleasure-disgust-pleasure. I think Ol' Bull Lee would've been proud of this reaction, and probably fully erect as well at the notion of a teenage boy having this visceral reaction to his filthy fucked up words.

message 3: by Caris (new) - added it

Caris On my way.

Kristen MyFleshSingsOut wrote: "I think Ol' Bull Lee would've been proud of this reaction, and probably fully erect..."

You'd be like the Allerton to his Lee.

Kumari Yes, its very sad that someone could write about hating himself so much and get published, without, you know, actually saying that he hates himself so that he could actually reflect on it. Men are socialized with such conflicting and damnable expectations, no wonder he turned so twisted.