Kerry's Reviews > Anatomy of an Epidemic: Magic Bullets, Psychiatric Drugs, and the Astonishing Rise of Mental Illness in America

Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker

Oct 08, 10

bookshelves: 2010, 6, library, non-fiction
Read from September 25 to October 08, 2010

I think the author very clearly has an agenda with this book, but I also don't that immediately validates everything he has to say. I suspect he's chosen the research he's quoted to promote his opinion, but I'm also confident what he's quoted is accurate.

As someone who has been on anti-depressants for nearly 20 years, it is certainly cause for thought.

And having a 6 year old son who has had the dreaded word "ritalin" raised around him, I've decided that as a responsible parent I have to do so serious research on the subject before we make any decision about giving him medication. (I hoping it won't ever come to that, but if we do have to decide, I need to have as much information as I can get from as many different sources as possible.)

So on one level, this book totally freaked me out, mostly on my own account ("go and have another anti-anxiety tablet, dear" by husband suggested just to be annoying), while it has also given me a lot to think about.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anatomy of an Epidemic.

09/24/2010 page 39