Cara's Reviews > Extraordinary

Dec 28, 13

bookshelves: 2010, fantasy, awesome-covers
Recommended to Cara by: Ash
Read from October 16 to 22, 2010

What would it be like if you were constantly cut down? Would you cave in to the taunts? Would you hold your ground? Well Phoebe will be presented with this problem. The story starts out with her meeting an odd new girl. They both have just entered the seventh grade, but Phoebe is up for a change from her old friends. If that's what you can call them. Phoebe befriends the odd girl named Mallory. Unbeknownst to Phoebe that decision will change the entire course of her future. Fast forward four years later and the truth comes out of why exactly Mallory became friends with Phoebe.

Now I did love some aspects of the book but for the first two-thirds of the book I wasn't feeling it. Or more that I wasn't enjoying it like I thought I would. Phoebe is doe-eyed with Ryland, and she is being glamored to sink in to the faerie's plan and it got frustrating, tedious, and overdrawn. I think Werlin actually wanted this effect on the reader. She wanted us to feel how wrong this was, and the unrealness of it all. Now the last third I really did like. We finally get to see what the whole thing was about. You really do guess beforehand, but now the showdown begins and some other characters come out of the woodwork.

I didn't like the dialogue that much with the characters and it was kind of awkward. That was probably because Mallory and Ryland were faeries. The ending was fine but I kind of think they stuck on something there in the end that didn't ring true to me.

Though I didn't enjoy this one as much as Impossible, I do think Werlin is great and will be reading more of her work. This story gives a unique perspective of what it means to be extraordinary, and the power of unconditional love.
10 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Extraordinary.

Quotes Cara Liked

Nancy Werlin
“Nothing that had happened in the past could be taken away. This was an amazing gift. The past was done and over and settled; you couldn't get it back, but still, whatever good you had gotten from it, spiritually, emotionally, would be yours for your lifetime.”
Nancy Werlin, Extraordinary

10/20/2010 page 237
60.0% 3 comments
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Amelia (new) - added it

Amelia Oh man. I can't wait to see what you think of it. I've seen some mixed reviews about this book.

Cara I'll make sure to review;) I think I'm gonna love it because I enjoyed Impossible so I'm expecting fully to enjoy myself.

Kristy Gorgeous Cover, Great Review... To-Read pile!

Cara I know the cover is awesome! Thanks;)