Adi (Reading in the Windowseat)'s Reviews > The Dead Girls' Dance

The Dead Girls' Dance by Rachel Caine

Feb 27, 11

bookshelves: 2011-read-list, genre-romance, class-young-adult, genre-paranormal
Read from February 26 to 27, 2011

4.5 stars, to be precise.

I think I like the second Morganville Vamps book a bit more than the first. Maybe because Claire was so much tougher. Maybe because the plot was so much more knotted. Maybe because it delved deeped into the paranormal world. Or maybe just all of that together.

I enjoy the dynamics of these books - it's always like, one group of bad guys kidnaps the quartet and then, instead of being saved, they are kidnapped by the other bad guys. It's always out of the frying pan and into the plot for those four. And some of the scrapes they get into are downright hilarious.

I'm really attached by now to the four major characters - Claire, Shane, Eve and Michael. I love how loyal they are, how ready to put their own necks on the line for each other. Even 16-year-old Claire. And how they go all out when partying, and the whole surrogate-family motif. I enjoy their little flaws and quirks, which always seem to get them in trouble.

I enjoyed the whole delving into Shane's past thing, if only there was a bit more of his snarky, sparkly personality to go around. And Michael is like... the perfect friend and boyfriend, but I especially like his Claire's-big-brother routine. It's so very sweet.

And the cliffies at the end just keep on coming. Good thing I have the books up to the 9th installment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dead Girls' Dance.

Quotes Adi (Reading in the Windowseat) Liked

Rachel Caine
“Want to play baseball?’” she asked. Shane’s eyes opened, and he stopped stroking her hair. “What?’” “First base,’” she said. “You’re already there.’” “I’m not running the bases.’” “Well, you could at least steal second.’” “Jeez, Claire. I used to distract myself with sports stats at times like these, but now you’ve gone and ruined it.”
Rachel Caine, The Dead Girls' Dance

Rachel Caine
“Your father's an asshole. It's not a disease. You don't have to catch it.”
Rachel Caine, The Dead Girls' Dance