Crazyjamie's Reviews > The Walking Dead, Vol. 12: Life Among Them

The Walking Dead, Vol. 12 by Robert Kirkman

Sep 24, 10

Read in September, 2010

Life Among Them, the twelfth trade paperback from The Walking Dead moves the survivors to a self contained colony that almost resembles life pre apocalypse, and as such shifts series on to mostly new ground. I say 'mostly' because we have been here before with the whole 'self contained civilisation' thing, most notably the prison and, briefly, Woodbury. However, it wouldn't be in the style of The Walking Dead to go fully over old ground, and indeed this attempt at getting back to normality sits differently to the others.

You will already have noticed that I have given this book four stars, whereas I usually give them five, and as a result you may be questioning as to why this book isn't quite as good as the others. The short answer is that it isn't. Not really. This book necessarily introduces a number of new characters as the survivors have, after all, found quite a number of people sitting in their protected houses. However, endless months out in a zombie filled landscape has a habit of changing people, so in addition to introducing new characters this book also has to deal with some notable development in all of the main characters as well. As a result it is somewhat light on the traditional Walking Dead action, and instead cultivates relationships between the characters more. It is, as ever, skilfully done, but it is also clearly preparing us for more to come, perhaps in a similar way that "The Calm Before" did. And given how that turned out, I really can't wait to see where the story goes from here.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Walking Dead, Vol. 12.