Jill Myles's Reviews > The Help

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Nov 03, 10

bookshelves: audio
Read from September 24 to November 03, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I'm waffling between 4 stars and 5 stars. I love love loved this book riiiiiiight up until the very last chapter. The characters are wonderful, and I truly cared what would happen to them. The entire time I was reading, I was thinking, shit! I need to read me some more literary fiction! This is amazing!

And then the end came, and I am left with minor quibbly things that make me unhappy.

Spoilers! Don't read if you don't want spoileyness.

I...wasn't happy with the resolution of Skeeter's storyline. Not only does her mother will herself better from cancer, but she moves to NYC and gets to leave all of the troubles behind. I realize it was explained in teh story and the other characters were happy for her, but it STILL left me with a rotten taste in my mouth. It was like she didn't have to shoulder any of the repercussions?

Also, I would have liked more of an exclamation point on Minny's storyline. Minny was my favorite character and I wanted to see the final scene, rather than just a phone call.

But other than those minor quibbles, this book was heartbreakingly wonderful. I kept telling my husband, "This is so not my kind of book!" because i normally steer VERY clear of literary fiction and twentieth century historical fiction doesn't interest me in general, but I loved this. Abileen and Minny were absolutely wonderful characters, and you knew without the author having to come out and say it that Stuart was a total selfish dirtbag. You felt so sorry for Celia Foote and wanted things to turn out well for her. And when something bad would happen, I felt genuine fear for the characters.

So I have to take off like a half a star for the ending. It wasn't bad, but like I said, I wanted the big wrap-up that you normally get in genre fiction. Other than that, this was really special and I am tempted to buy copies for my friends, I enjoyed it so much.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Help.

10/15/2010 page 55
12.0% "Loving the audiobook..."
10/22/2010 page 150
33.0% "I'm on chapter 30 of 126 in my audio book. not sure what that equates to page wise (and too lazy to calc it). The story is really, really good. The voice actors are amazing, too. I find myself rushing to go listen to more. :)"
10/25/2010 page 275
61.0% "(I'm guessing about the length) Shit just got craaaaaazy with Minny and Miss Celia. Holy jeez. I stayed up way too late listening to the audiobook last night to find out what Miss Celia's secret was, and then what happened next floored me." 3 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jill Myles Heather wrote: "We're reading this in my IRL book club! Your update from the 25th makes me want to read it even more!"

It was such a moving, scary scene! read faster!! ;)

Jenn I felt the same way. But it also bothered me that the story left Abilene crying while walking to the bus stop!! She's left with having to start over! Yes she had the column but it wouldn't be enough for her to live on.
But truly incredible right up until the last 2 pages!

Jill Myles Jenn wrote: "I felt the same way. But it also bothered me that the story left Abilene crying while walking to the bus stop!! She's left with having to start over! Yes she had the column but it wouldn't be enoug..."

Oh yes, that bothered me too! I was like, WAIT. The entire story built up how hard it would be for her to start over, but she has to anyhow. I knew she couldn't keep working for Elizabeth, but at the same time, I would have liked the exclamation point to her ending too. :)