Jim's Reviews > Potential

Potential by Ariel Schrag

Sep 24, 10

bookshelves: graphic-novels
Read in September, 2010

Potential is the third book in Arial Schrag's autobiographical comics written during her high school years. This book covers her 11th grade and was written after her junior year and based on notes she had taken during the time along with journal entries.

While her first two books, Awkward and Definition had some humor along with teen angst, this book leans more to the darker side of teen life. There are moments of deep anxiety, despair and self doubt bordering on pathos.

Yet, it is truly amazing the depth of thought and struggle that she goes through trying to find her way through adolescence in the 90's.

I found one scene in the book very enlightening and thought provoking. Ariel and her girlfriend are talking with their art teacher, who is a lesbian about the idea of virginity. Ariel asks how does a lesbian know if she has lost her virginity or not. She says that heterosexual people have a clear definition of what it means to lose your virginity, while lesbians did not. What ensued was an exploration of how one defines such things. I found the discussion fascinating and illuminating.

I'm looking forward to the next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Potential.