Joe B.'s Reviews > Far North

Reading/Language Arts Book Review #2
04 October 2010
Far North:
How Far Will You Go?
Imagine yourself in a barren landscape, no one to help you, only yourself. How would you live? It's a survival of the fittest, and it's live, or die. In Far North, by Marcel Theroux, Sheriff Makepeace, the city's last citizen is on a search for civilization. Makepeace lives in a post-apocalyptic landscape, the “far north”, wherever that is. This adventure follows Makepeace through her quest for life, while trying to save her own. Marcel Theroux displays himself as an author in this book by vividly describing characters, twisting the plot, and letting the reader, “feel the adventure.”

In Far North, Marcel Theroux construes exactly how characters think, feel, and live their own lives. To describe Makepeace, Theroux puts her as first-person, so the reader can hear her thoughts. On page 41, when Makepeace tries to kill herself, the reader can then understand how she was feeling, how she wanted a “final image of life” to flash before her eyes. When she saw the plane, anyone who has read this book felt the excitement, and how the story is just getting started. To illustrate Reverend Boathwaite, Theroux explains how religion is the most important thing in the world, and it pushes them to stay alive. Without enough food, Boathwaite is the city's only peace. As Boathwaite said, “Sometimes, our imperative is survival. We are much reduced. But this community coheres. You (Makepeace) are the last of your whole city. Ask yourself, by what grace did this settlement survive, while your's collapsed?” This shows Boathwaite has the upmost faith that religion will pull them through. These examples show how Theroux demonstrates characters through description and perspective. Bricker

Theroux also shows how well he can write through his plot twists. In the beginning of Far North, Makepeace doesn't lead an exciting life. Then, while patrolling, she discovers Ping, an escaped slave. This puts purpose into Makepeace's life, and the story can go on. Then, when the reader discovers that Ping is pregnant, another spark hits Makepeace and the reader. The narrative then picks up its' pace. When Ping dies at childbirth, and Makepeace's life begins to fall apart, the story begins to pick up the sad perspective on Makepeace's life. Then, when the plane appears, the story picks up again. When Makepeace is caught of fraud by Boathwaite, and is sentenced to death, the plot regains a lot of it's pace. However, when the “two-faced” Reverend decides to pull Makepeace out of death, and sentences her to service for life, the story can continue, and take a new twist. When Makepeace begins to work, the story slows dramatically, but when she escapes, it picks up again. Then, when she is caught again, the story continues on a steady pace. As you can see, Theroux keeps on twisting the plot to keep the book “alive”. To maintain the attention of the reader, Theroux uses his skill to keep the characters and plot “living” throughout the book.

To envelop the reader, Theroux also tries to make sure that the reader “feels” the adventure. When Makepeace found Ping, a light went off in my head. As a reader, I know that when a new character is introduced to the story, something will change, and lead to a new sub-plot. When Ping died at childbirth, I could tell that the story began to die, and I felt lonely. The book made me feel many different emotions. I believe that if a book can make a person feel something, then the book means something deeper in you. Once I began to “feel” the book, I could “feel” the adventure. Later in the book, in the city of Horeb, I felt how when Boathwaite grew angry at Makepeace for offering to hunt for them, I felt kind of guilty, because Makepeace interrupted the sermon, and religion is the most important thing to the city of Horeb. In Horeb, Makepeace is a guest and is considered very impolite. When Makepeace escaped, my heart began to beat faster. I knew that something, anything, was going to happen to change her, and I
Bricker3
couldn't put the book down. Even when Makepeace was finally permitted to “The Zone,” I felt as if all was well. If a reader can feel the book, then the author has done a good job of being able to encompass the true meaning of the story. Theroux, through his writing in Far North, envelops the reader to “feel” the adventure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Far North.

09/24/2010 page 155
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cole (new)

Cole nice review sounds like a book that would be hard to put down. when is the book set?