Linda's Reviews > Angel's Tip

Angel's Tip by Alafair Burke

Jul 09, 12

bookshelves: kindle-the-horror
Read from July 06 to 09, 2012

I enjoyed this read. It might be a 3.5-er, but I'm rounding up because it sucked me in more than her other books have.
(This sucking in could be partially because it caught me at a time when I am susceptible to New York nostalgia, and it made me want to move back to New York, so I can once again go out in the meatpacking district and shake my head at people who pay hundreds of dollars for bottle service while I hypocritically do not turn down their hospitality.)
I read this on my Kindle for PC (a .99 download! because, as Alafair Burke puts it, she and her publisher are like the drug dealers at the playground who hook the kids with free samples...thanks, publisher!) so I had to go away from it when I wasn't taking my laptop with me (usually) and I kept wanting to hurry back to it to see what was next. It moved along quickly, as most mysteries do. One thing about her writing is that her characters say snarky, incisive things, much like the author herself does, so rather than a slow characterization by actions, the characters quite often express something about themselves in a witty, articulate way--it feels very modern and hip. This is also far better than the genre trope of introducing every new character with "He was tall, red-headed, with piercing green eyes that nicely topped his slightly chubby frame" - so glad Alafair Burke doesn't introduce every character that way. Anyway, no plot summary from me because I hate spoilers and hate them even more in a mystery, duh! But I recommend this for your beach/airport reading pleasure whether you're new to Alafair Burke or you've read her newer stuff and are on the fence about catching up on the backlist. It's a thoughtful, sardonic, smart, New Yorky story. Bonus: we get a jackass law student, a seriously unethical lawyer, and a bit of the eternal philosophical debate about whether one should go to law school. (My answer: no...because you can just benefit from Alafair Burke's criminal procedure wisdom in her books like this, instead of paying thousands of dollars to take her class)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angel's Tip.

07/06/2012 ""They say New York is the city that never sleeps, but Ellie Hatcher knew it got pretty drowsy around five in the morning." I love this line!! I am also really missing living in New York right now."