Jami's Reviews > Finnikin of the Rock

Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta

May 01, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult, total-faves, aussie-lit
Read from November 01 to December 31, 2011

Now as you may or may not know, I am a devoted fan of Melina Marchetta. That being said, I was a little hesitant to read her first attempt at a fantasy novel. Fantasy is kind of a hit-and-miss genre for me anyway, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I do hope Ms. Marchetta will accept my sincere apologies for ever doubting her, though, because this book was just beautiful. And as different as it was from her contemporary novels, it was so interesting to sense Marchetta's underlying style and especially her grasp on humanity, relationships, and emotion.

What I loved about this book was the concentration on real character development. There was no complicated descriptions of the fantasy world of Finnikin; instead, the details of the countries and their backgrounds, their deities and mythology, unfolded naturally throughout the story. And while no character was perfect, there was such beauty and power in their growth, their relationships with each other, their emotions and struggles. I was completely engrossed in the story of young Finnikin who must sacrifice everything to bring his exiled people home ten years after the royal family of his country was brutally murdered and the throne taken over by an enemy. And like most interactions with people in real-life, you (as the reader) don't truly know or understand any of the characters in this book until you have spent time with them, traveled with them, learned their motivations, listened to their stories and backgrounds, watched them cry or fight or love.

It is simply a beautiful story about home, family, loyalty, and love, and the sacrifices that are made when these things really mean something. I applaud Ms. Marchetta for another amazing novel. I don't know how she does it, but I swear I won't doubt her again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finnikin of the Rock.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tatiana Wait until you read Froi of the Exiles:)

Jami Ahhh! Can't wait! Is it already out? Was it fabulous? Okay, I'll go read your review right now. (You can see I haven't been keeping up very well lately. Our recent move kept me so busy, I've been a bit out of the online loop . . . )

Michelle I'm dying to read the next installment! Oh and glad to see you back at it on goodreads! I love reading your reviews.

Jami I know! Tatiana says it doesn't come out until March in the US! And yes, I've really been AWOL from Goodreads since we moved to Utah. Everything's been so busy that I haven't had time to really sit down and review anything. Of course, now when I try to do it, I can't remember enough about the books I read three months ago to write a decent review. I'm going to try to keep a little more up to date now, so that my reviews are at least somewhat accurate . . .

Michelle I need to be friends with Tatiana. I have really come to trust her, especially when it comes to the YA fiction. And I am serious about a book club. Now that we are both here...

Jami Yes, definitely. On both counts. Tatiana is fabulous, and I usually trust her more than anyone else when it comes to YA fiction. She has impeccable taste!