January's Reviews > The Island

The Island by Elin Hilderbrand

Oct 04, 10

bookshelves: chick-lit, love-story, good-beach-read
Read from September 24 to 29, 2010

I have to admit that when I read the synopsis of this book I didn't think I was going to like it, but it is set in Nantucket and I was planning a trip to Maine and wanted a book that took place around that area and the reviews were good so I thought I would try it out. I have never read any of Elin Hilderbrand's novels so I wasn't sure what to expect. I am so glad I did! I loved this book!

This book is about 4 women that go to an Island and stay at a house that has been in their family for decades! Two sisters, their mom and aunt all spend a month on The Island together and sort through their troubles while bonding with each other. This book made me laugh and I even shed a tear or two. It is about first love, true love, unconventional love, forbidden love and family! I could not put this book down!

I will say that I was a little bored with India's (the aunt) part. Hilderbrand tells this story in 4 parts (one for each women) and when I got to India's part I cringed a little. I didn't want to read her part at all and found myself skimming her part in order to get to the other 3 women. I don't know if it was because I couldn't relate AT ALL to her or if her part just bored me that much, but I would have probably given this book 5 stars if I didn't have to endure her parts of the story. Still a great book though!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Island.

09/25/2010 page 35
8.0% 2 comments
09/26/2010 page 151
36.0% "Really great book so far! Better than I expected!"
09/29/2010 page 359
86.0% "I have really enjoyed this book!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen It sounds like a good story! It sounds as though the Aunt India is probably someone you wouldn't like in real life either. She must not be a good person or something from the way you describe her. Or that maybe that she is blaming her mistakes in life on others!

January It was a great story! You would probably really enjoy it! Aunt India was just weird and I didn't relate to her at all! Her husband killed himself and now years later she finds herself falling in love with a women. I guess that is fine, but just not something I can relate to I guess. The other three stories were all great. You should read it!