Eddie Watkins's Reviews > The Philosophy of Andy Warhol

The Philosophy of Andy Warhol by Andy Warhol

Oct 08, 14

bookshelves: adventures-in-thought

Back when I was really serious about finding profound meaning in life, and thought for some reason that that meaning would somehow emanate from something outside myself, that the world itself should be steeped in it, I hated everything Warhol stood for (as I perceived it) - shallowness, flippancy, etc. - because of course I resented his apparent lack of interest in finding the type of deep meaning that interested me; but now that I've realized that any meaning that life might have resides only in our individual breasts, and that the world itself is rather empty, Warhol's shallowness seems profound to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Philosophy of Andy Warhol.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Amen, brother.

message 2: by Jason (new)

Jason Always wanted to read this whole work. The sections I sampled via Baudrillard seemed fascinating.

message 3: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Back when I was really serious about finding profound meaning in life

You had me here, sir, right here.

message 4: by D. (last edited Sep 27, 2010 05:20PM) (new) - added it

D. Pow What was it Joseph Campbell said?

'People aren’t looking for a meaning to life, they are looking for an experience of living.'

The sacred thisness of life. And it is certainly there with Warhol. The precious transitory soup can commodity 15 minute of fame ball of silly wax.

message 5: by Eddie (last edited Sep 27, 2010 06:35PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eddie Watkins It is fascinating and, more importantly, hilarious. The chapters on love and sex are priceless.

Reading this seemed like some kind of personal victory. I read it impulsively after finding it on one of our bookshelves last week. I didn't even know there was a copy in the house. It helped erase many of the final hesitations I had about him.

And I don't care what thought or emotions, and various levels of irony, are in the background of his shallow emptiness, the level of his non-attachment as expressed in this book is instructive and profound; potentially useful to the most thoughtful or thoughtless person.

Nathanael We get meaning from within - true. But experience in the world alters that meaning. A book may be physical, tactile and lifeless, but the words within have the power to reconstruct the universe. Regardless of the state of the world, a dangerous thing happens when someone stops believing in purpose or meaning. It's the only hope we have as human beings and to give up is nihilism.

Eddie Watkins Not sure if you're implying that I have stopped believing in purpose or meaning or not, but it's not true. Or maybe it is, as I don't believe in purpose or meaning, but rather apprehend it directly as the moment allows. But of course all this searching for and apprehending of meaning is rife with fluctuations, so that at times I myself feel steeped with meaning, while at other times absolutely void of it. What doesn't change, however, is the fact that I never expect the world to give me, or to somehow transfer to me, whatever meaning it may or may not have, however much of an information exchange there might be between me and it via books, movies, other people, institutions, etc.

Phillip I don't understand your regard of Warhol, Eddie. I'm not a Warhola nut, but what you appear to understand of his disposition and presumed ambitions strike a note to me not so different as would, I think, hearing people insist Gallagher's jokes are too simple and messy. I'm not trying to put down anything you have mentioned, I just don't understand your impression of the late pop artist.

A good book: deceptively frivolous, delightfully sensible, and quirkily informative.

message 9: by Petra X (new)

Petra X You have to work to give life meaning. It isn't inherently there. Who said that? Bellow?

Eddie Watkins I'd say you have to work to give life the illusion of meaning. Or else not work at all and just let the meaning be there, which can feel perilously close to meaninglessness.