Lyn's Reviews > Death Is a Lonely Business

Death Is a Lonely Business by Ray Bradbury

F_50x66
Sep 24, 10

Read in September, 2010

I am a reader who doesn't need a lot of action in a book. I consider myself character driven in my reading yet I enjoyed Bradbury's "Death is a Lonely Business". It was slow to get into, yet by the end I really wanted to know what happens. He created quite good caracters even though their voices were not distinct, it was all the narrator's voice speaking and he was a real name dropper.It was a bit showoffish but the storyline let us excuse the narrator as he was young and a little childish and self indulgent. I liked the feeling of the setting, the desolation of the seaside place matching the people who were all loners or losers in one way or another. His characters were able to remain human, even if he wrote them in a stilted and artificial way.It was like watching a dectective movie.
Somehow the plot was both overwrought and even a tad predictable yet interesting and I easily forgave Bradbury his tresspasses.Did it sound a little like a detective novel James Joyce to anyone else? Writers writing about writers is as hackneyed as film makers doing films about themselves I know, but none the less I enjoyed Death is a Lonely Business, it must have been its intricate plot as well as the Crumley and narrator characters.I really liked howthe absent girlfriend was ever present.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death Is a Lonely Business.