Patricia's Reviews > The Wind in the Willows

The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame

2782036
Sep 23, 10

bookshelves: newsweek-s-top-100-book-list, children, 100-greatest-novels, kindle-books
Read in September, 2010

This was my first time reading Wind in the Willows, although I was aware of the stories having seen different cartoon adaptations. I wish I had read this book first as a child, but the fact that this was my first reading did not make it any less enjoyable. I love all the characters, their distinct personalities and their strong friendships. The stories are varied and the lessons timeless. The characters spend quiet time in conversation, sharing meals, and taking tranquil walks along the river, they take part in boating adventures, heroic takeovers and some even resort to car-theft and gaol breakouts. I think my favorite story is Dulce Domum, where Mole realizes the joys of hearth and home. In Wayfarers All, we see a a reflection of the author himself in Rat, who is siezed by thoughts of adventure in foreign lands. Mole talks some sense into Rat and calms him down by suggesting he write some poetry, giving him a pencil - "the Rat was absorbed and deaf to the world; alternately scribbling and sucking the top of his pencil. It is true that he sucked a good deal more than he scribbled; but it was joy to the Mole to know that the cure had at least begun." Read this book if you've never read it as a child, or even if you have, read it again. The stories have a lot to offer for all ages and you are sure to come away with a different perspective as an adult.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wind in the Willows.