Linda's Reviews > The Masterharper of Pern

The Masterharper of Pern by Anne McCaffrey

Jan 13, 08

Recommended for: anyone who likes dragons

It's hard to know the best order to read the books of Pern as many of the stories overlap. However, I have put them in a somewhat chronological order that gives the reader a logical sequence to follow. I recommend starting with this one.

For those of you who are new to Pern, it is an earth-like planet inhabited by human beings who live in a medieval-styled society. There is no magic on Pern, but there are fire-breathing, telepathic dragons who bond at their hatching with the human who will become their partner in life. The books of Pern tell their many stories.

I don't know why, but I absolutely love being in Pern. Even though I have read the books more than once, I periodically get homesick for Pern and read them all again. It amazes me that I can pick up one of the books, stretch out on my bed, and without any more ado, be completely transported to another reality. No plane ticket to buy, no line to stand in, no hassle or expense. It's better than a magic carpet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Masterharper of Pern.