carrietracy's Reviews > Cooking for Mr. Latte: A Food Lover's Courtship, with Recipes

Cooking for Mr. Latte by Amanda Hesser

Jun 14, 15

bookshelves: cookbooks, biographymemoir, bright-lights-big-city, non-fiction
Read from September 23 to October 02, 2010

Amanda Hesser comes across as wildly unlikeable. You'd think her editor would have pointed that out to her. She is incredibly impressed with herself and is not at all ashamed at the snobbery that pervades every fiber of her being. I knew I'd be annoyed when she expected me to know (and care) about the difference between a foodie, a gourmet and a gourmand. I couldn't help cheering when Mr. Latte secretly spiked her espresso with equal (she didn't notice - point to Mr. Latte). The only time she has the grace to even be mildly embarrassed is when she suggests that $100 lunch is reasonable to a man visiting from India, a man who then informs her that he earns the equivalent of $2 a day U.S.

Also, a chapter on suffering from food poisoning has no place in a book about food. I don't care if you got it eating out with Jeffrey Steingarten. No one wants their tasty meal descriptions interrupted with a play by play of your digestive woes.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cooking for Mr. Latte.